Sunday, April 5, 2020

How to Practice the Seven Factors of Awakening


If you meditate using the technique I describe on my website, it can be helpful to have an overall idea in mind of what you are trying to do otherwise it is easy to forget to do some part of the meditation technique. When I reviewed the seven factors of awakening the other day, I realized here was a list of the different aspects of the meditation technique. If you remember this list you won't forget anything when you meditate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_Factors_of_Awakening

In Buddhism, the Seven Factors of Awakening are:
  • Mindfulness. To maintain awareness of reality.
  • Investigation of the nature of reality.
  • Energy also determination, effort.
  • Joy or rapture.
  • Relaxation or tranquility of both body and mind.
  • Concentration, a calm, one-pointed state of mind, or clear awareness.
  • Equanimity. To accept reality as-it-is without craving or aversion.

Thich Nhat Hanh translates the word for equanimity as "letting go". I like that because I see letting go of attachments and aversions as a consequence of relaxation: to let go of something you are holding on to, you relax your grip on it. When I am relaxed I do not experience attachments or aversions (unpleasant emotions).

I also prefer "determination, effort" to "Energy" because to me, in English, 'energy' evokes a sense of hyperactivity which seems to contradict relaxation.

In my practice I find myself "noticing" and "observing" which is the same as investigating.

I find concentration and relaxation are interrelated. When you concentrate the mind, that calms mental turbulence which is part of relaxation. When you relax, that also calms mental turbulence which aids concentration.

When you begin a meditation session you can easily remember the complete technique by remembering the seven factors of awakening. (I think of them in this order):

How to meditate:

  1. Relaxation (Factor 5, breathe in a relaxing way somewhat slower and deeper than normal).
  2. Concentration (Factor 6, count the breath if your mind is turbulent, or observe the breath if your mind is calm).
  3. Joy (Factor 4, observe the pleasant feeling of relaxation as you inhale and exhale, this can trigger the a feedback loop in the brain that produces feelings of happiness).
How to handle interrupting thoughts, emotions, and impulses:

  1. Be lucid (Factor 1, mindfulness, observe thoughts, emotions, and impulses as they arise but don't get so carried away that you become distracted and stop doing the meditation technique).
  2. Allow yourself to feel unpleasant emotions (Factor 2, investigation).
  3. Let go of unpleasant emotions (Factor 7, equanimity, letting go of attachments and aversions).
What to do after the meditation session:

  1. Continue practicing in daily life after the sitting meditation session is over (Factor 3, energy, determination, effort).
I don't recommend practicing super-intense concentration. If the mind is completely still, there is no investigation. I find some concentration helps with relaxation, elevating my mood, and mindfulness, but too much and it begins to cause problems such as suppression of thoughts and emotions which causes irritability.

Copyright © 2020 by ncu9nc All rights reserved. Texts quoted from other sources are Copyright © by their owners.