Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Varieties of Mystical Experiences

I've released a new page to my web site: Varieties of Mystical Experiences I discuss some of the mystical experiences I've had and how a western world view may influence our understanding of ancient tradtions.

One day, near the end of that long evening session, I was meditating, gazing at the wooden floor, (in Zen it is customary to meditate with the eyes open) and I felt myself being pulled forward out of my body for a few seconds. A minute later it happened again for a longer time. During this time I had no sensation of my body at all, the only thing I was aware of was the perception of the floor in my visual field. Because it was the only thing I was aware of, it seemed to me that I associated my self with that thing. I knew I existed but I didn't know where. I knew this image of the floor existed. It seemed natural to associate this image with my self. It seemed like I was this image of the floor.

This was without a doubt the "non duality of subject and object" described in the definition of kensho. It proved to me that the sense of self is subjective. It is also consistent with the filter model of consciousness which says that the brain does not produce consciousness but filters it. When the brain is quiescent from meditation it may filter consciousness less and we may have expanded consciousness such as this awareness of the oneness of subject and object.

Varieties of Mystical Experiences